Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Play in the park

June - August 2018

We took immigrant families to the park to play Duck, Duck, Goose (Pato, Pato, Ganza) and soccer (futbol). Going back to the bus station a young 12-year old, Cristian, picked up some trash in the park and threw it away. I thanked him very much when we got back to the station. Cristian then made Terry and me each a bracelet. We pray for him each time we see it hanging in the bathroom.

During the summer, our daughter, C., started going to the bus station with us. It was so much fun to see her interact with the people. She was especially good with the children.  I am amazed at her Spanish which she learned in high school and only practiced one week in Costa Rica.  I told someone that I had lived in Guatemala 40 years ago. She said, "Mum, it was 50 years ago." She really knows how to make me feel old!!

Terry and another volunteer, A., took several families who were leaving on a late bus, to the riverwalk. She had taken me another day, so it was Terry's turn to go. About 8 families went with them and Terry bought them all ice cream. The attendant gave him a cost break because her family had immigrated and she related to the immigrants. I am sure she did not make much that day, but she certainly will have a crown in heaven.

C. from our family #1 also went with us to the bus station this summer. He is 17. He had never wanted to speak Spanish or learn it well. His parents do not speak English but understand a lot of English, so he speaks only when he has to at home. After using his Spanish that day he said, "i can see why I need to learn Spanish."

It always amazes and thrills me to receive thanks and hugs, but especially from the young children without any prompting from the parents and before hearing it from their parents. One day particularly, I remember, I was walking a mom and her five-year old boy to the bus, when he looked up at me and said, "Thank you for all you have done for us." WOW!

What joy it gives us to serve these loving and grateful people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Changes in the news

A couple of months ago things really began changing at the bus station.  News stations across the country began covering Caravans of famili...